Remember Shrinky dinks? Well, you can still buy them in craft stores. If you buy the ones that are non-printed you can make your own personalized items. It so easy and you can make all sorts of personalized zipper pulls for backpacks and more.
You will need:
Frosted sheets of Shrink plastic (you can find it in the craft store or the office supply store)
Large rubber stamp (I used one that was 4 ½” x 4 ½”)
Rubber stamp inkpad
Scissors or decorative paper edgers
Large paper punch (Keep in mind that the hole will shrink too)
Brown paper bag
Toaster oven or home oven
Small ball chain key chain
Newspapers to protect your work surface
Acrylic gloss finish
1. Cover your work surface with newspaper. Use the inkpad to apply ink to your rubber stamp. Stamp onto the non-shiny side of the shrink it and press down. Quickly remove and let dry for a few seconds. Cut out your design with scissors or decorative paper cutters.
2. Use a paper punch to punch a hole in the top of your cut out design.
3. Color individual parts of your design with colored pencils to accent if desired.
4. Cut a rectangle of brown paper and place onto a cookie sheet. You will bake your shrink-it on this paper. Pre heat your oven or toaster oven to 325 degrees.
5. Place in the pre-heated oven for 2-3 minutes. Don’t fret if it curls. When the shrinking is finished it will lay flat. Remove your shrink-it from the oven. Use the bottom of a glass while it is still warm to press down on the design to flatten further if necessary. Let cool.
7. Insert a ball style key chin through the hole and attach to the backpack zipper.
Note: Adult supervision is required when baking. You must use a home oven or toaster oven. A microwave will not work. Shrink plastic will shrink to about 1/3 of its unbaked size and be the thickness of a nickel.