I think that right up there with Tacky glue, my favorite craft supply has to be one that I get for free right in my grocery store. To what can I be referring? Brown paper bags of course. To make this surprisingly durable origami wallet just cut a standard sized 8 ½” x 11” piece of brown paper bag, crinkle it up, stain it, and fold. It’s really quite easy, just take the origami steps slowly and follow the photos. This wallet is fantastic when I am traveling with a small purse and just want to carry some money and a credit card.
You will need:
Large brown paper bag, single layer
Acrylic wood stain
Mod Podge decoupage gloss finish
Paper to protect work surface
Bone folder (optional)
Make your brown paper leather-like:
1. Measure and cut a piece of brown paper bag 8 ½” by 11.” Roll it into a ball and then smooth the wrinkles out. Brush on some acrylic wood stain and wipe off the excess with a paper towel. Let dry.
2. Spread some gloss decoupage finish on the stained brown paper piece and let dry. This will give it a slight shine.
Fold the origami wallet:
3. Fold the piece of paper in half. Unfold.
4. Fold again to the fold line. Repeat on the other side.
5. Open up paper. Turn paper and fold in half.
6. Working horizontally measure ¾” up on each of the three fold lines and cut to that mark. Do the same on the other side.
7. Turn and fold to the first fold line, (The long end will be facing you) then fold in half.
8. Fold the corner up (closed corner) and cut the triangle off with the scissors. Open up. There will be a triangle cut out in one section. Fold up the 3/4"flaps in the section with the triangle on both sides. Skip one quadrant and fold up the 3/4"flaps on both sides of this end as well.
|Turn and fold up flap|
|Skip one quadrant and fold up flaps|
9. Fold both sides over to the center line, and then fold again. Fold in half with the diamond shape to the inside. You will have two flaps on each side. Working on one end, tuck each flap into the pocket of the opposite side. Repeat on the other side.
|Fold to center line on both sides|
|Fold in half|
|Fold in half with diamond to the inside|
|Tuck in flaps on both ends|
These thin leather-like wallets are great to stick in small purses.