Do you save the tops from containers and even empty paper towel rolls? Have you been looking for a project to use these recycled items? Well, you are in luck because you can use them to make these quick and easy recycled napkin rings and coaster set for your 4th of July celebration. All you need is patriotic duct tape, an empty paper towel roll, and a plastic 2 in-diameter top for each coaster. (Mine came from a container of breadcrumbs) You can whip up a whole set in minutes!
You will need:
Empty paper towel roll
Patriotic duct tape print (Or you can substitute solid colors, red, white or blue)
2-inch diameter plastic top (one for each coaster)
X-acto or craft knife
Plastic or cardboard work surface
|Gather your supplies|
To make the napkin ring:
1. Measure and mark 1 ¼” from the end of the paper towel roll. You can flatten it slightly and use the mark as a guide to cut it. Use your fingers to open it back up. Cut as many 1 ¼” sections as you need- one for each napkin ring.
2. Cut a piece of duct tape 5 ¾” long. Lay the duct tape sticky side up and roll on the paper towel roll ring. Make sure you center it on the duct tape. Smooth out any wrinkles.
3. Use the scissors to cut sections right to the edge around the napkin ring that are overlapping and fold each section inward. (See photo)
To make the coaster:
1. Apply two pieces of duct tape to the inside of the plastic top. Use your finger to press around to reveal the raised center circle. Using the center circle as a guide, cut around with an X-acto or craft knife. You may have to go around twice. Remove the excess duct tape and you will have a perfect center circle.
2. For extra flair cut a piece of duct tape ¼” x 11 ¾” and press around the rim. Trim off any excess.
Love this idea! I love using recycled material for crafts and projects. I've been using more duct tape now, too. They're so convenient! Pinned this and now following on Bloglovin'. :)ReplyDelete
It is amazing what you come up with looking at those materials! I like the napkin ring idea, I think I will make it with my kid!ReplyDelete
Very cute Crystal ;o) Great ideas ;o) Big Hugs ;o)ReplyDelete
(Come by my blog, if you can, the post is for my mom)
Love the use of Duck tape to make napkin rings and the lids to make coasters. Very creative. Pinned to my recycle board. Thanks for sharing it on Merry Monday. Hope to see you again tonight at 6pm PST.ReplyDelete