So horse show season is in full swing and with the fourth of July coming up soon what could be better than some patriotic horse show hair bows?
The current style for little competitors is to wear two braids and huge bows with long tails in each braid. These patriotic horse show hair bows would be perfect for all the upcoming shows. They would even be perfect to wear them separately on the Fourth of July holiday!
- · Mini Bowdabra
- · Hair bow tool and ruler
- · 1 ½” wide patriotic grosgrain ribbon
- · 7/8” wide white satin ribbon
- · ½” wide white ribbon with sparkle stars
- · 18” Bowdabra bow wire
- · Charm or bead
- · Ribbon covered alligator clip
- · Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- · Lighter to seal the ends from fraying (You may substitute clear nail polish if desired)
1. Gather your supplies.
2. Cut 18” bow wire, fold in half and insert into the Bowdabra. You will have a loop on one side and two wires on the other.
- Cut a 15” piece of 7/8” wide satin ribbon. Fold the ends in half and cut at an angle to dovetail. Use a lighter to lightly go over the ends to seal from fraying. (You may use clear nail polish if desired) Fold in half to find the center and insert into the Bowdabra guiding the tails downward.
- Cut a 15” piece of 1/4” wide white ribbon with sparkle stars, and seal the ends with the lighter or nail polish as before. Fold in half to find the center and insert into the Bowdabra. Guide the ends down as you did before.
- Cut an 18 ½” piece of Patriotic printed wire edge ribbon. Seal the ends with the lighter. Fold in half to find the center and insert into the Bowdabra wrong side up. Bring the right end over and insert the tail end into the Bowdabra. (See photo)
- Bring the other tail end over and under the first loop forming an X and insert the end in the Bowdabra.
- Push down both pieces of ribbon into the Bowdabra forming the bow. Scrunch down with the Bowdabra wand.
- Insert the two loose wires through the loop and while the bow is still in Bowdabra and pull tight. Remove from the Bowdabra, turn to the back and tie a knot. Adjust the bow and tails.
- Using the wires from the back, bring back around to the front and insert a bead or charm of your choice through one of the wires. Bring the wires back to the back of the bow and tie a knot making sure the charm is centered on the front of the bow. Cut off any excess. Add an alligator clip, small elastic, or French clip to the back of the bow. Repeat all the steps for a second bow.