You can make this fun wiggly bird magnet from a recycled soda can. I bet you didn’t know that soda cans are so easy to use for crafting. It’s bendable, lightweight and cuts like a dream. And best of all it’s free and recycled so it won’t end up in a landfill.
When you attach the magnet to a wire spring a little touch make this a very wiggly bird! So, lets get started.
Duct tape in any print you choose
Needle nosed pliers
Craft knife and self-healing cutting mat
Ceramic magnet disc
Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
1. First you will need to cut the soda can top and bottom off. Be careful when cutting. Cut it into a rectangle. Bend the rectangle in the reverse direction of the can so that it lays semi-flat.
2. Download and print the bird pattern. Now trace the bird pattern onto the aluminum can piece and cut out.
3. In the next step, cut two pieces of duct tape and cover the bird on the cutting mat. Press all around the edges with your fingers. Cut all around ¼” bigger than the bird using the craft knife. Peel up and off the mat.
4. After you remove the duct tape covered bird and turn to the back. Make little slits all around the duct tape to the edges and fold back.
5. In the next step cut a piece of duct tape to fit over to cover the back evenly and press to adhere. Use the hot glue gun to attach a wiggle eye to your bird. Bend the bird to curve slightly. Your bird is now ready to add the magnet and make her wiggle.
6. Wind a piece of 24-gauge wire around a pencil about 1 ½” up. Cut off with wire cutters.
7. Using a hot glue gun attach the end of the coiled wire to the back of the magnet let it set. Then attach it to the back of the bird with some more hot glue.
8. Attach to any magnetic surface. Slightly touch the bird and you will be amazed at how she wiggles!