Every so often I walk into the dollar store and find something that I just have to buy for no reason at all. Then just as if the item can speak, an idea for a use pops into my head. I found these fall leaves table scatter at the dollar store and at the time I didn’t know what I would do with them, and then I thought why not a fall leaves silverware pocket to dress up a Thanksgiving table –or any fall dinner. After thanksgiving your guests can even take them home as a party favor. To make them quick you can use a glue gun but this is also fun kid’s project when you use thick tacky glue. If using tacky glue you will need some clothespins to hold the pocket together while the glue sets.
You will need:
· Dark brown stiffened felt rectangle (It will make two pockets)
· Tan embossed felt
· Fall leaves table scatter or fall felt shapes
· White colored pencil (to write on dark felt)
· Pinking shears or decorative paper edgers
· Glue gun and glue sticks…or
· Thick tacky craft glue and clothespins to hold the glued area till dry
1. Gather your supplies. Fold the stiffened brown felt in half lengthwise. Press to crease. Measure 4 inches from the side edge and make a line. Cut out. The folded pocket will be 4 Inches wide by 4 ½” inches deep.
2. Use the glue gun to run a bead of glue down the sides of the pocket and press to attach…or if working with children, run a bead of thick tacky glue down the sides and press to attach. Hold with clothespins until dry. Add more tacky glue if necessary to make sure the pocket is secure. Use the pinking shears or paper edgers to trim the top for a decorative look.
3. Cut a strip of embossed felt 2 inches by 4 ½." Use the pinking shears to trim the top edge like you did on the pocket. Center this embossed felt on the front of the pocket and attach with glue gun or tacky glue.
4. Glue on the leaf table scatter in a pleasing arrangement on the front of the pocket.
I haven't been able to visit my favorite blogs much this week since I am suffering from a painful slipped disc. I'm starting to feel better so soon I will be back to my usual schedule. As always thanks for visiting Make it easy crafts and your awesome comments.