If you’ve never used Sculpey oven bake clay your missing some great crafting fun. This season monograms are big. They are displayed on walls, on clothing, jewelry and everything in between. You can make this monogrammed spring key ring in no time at all and all you need is a few supplies, and your home oven. I bet you won’t be able to make just one! Mother's Day is right around the corner and this medallion makes a great gift for mom as a pendant too!
You will need:
Sculpey III, gray metallic, scraps of green, yellow and brown
Sculpey clay tools
Sculpey texture sheets
Sculpey gloss glaze
Waxed paper to cover work surface
Mini flower cutter
Round cutters 1 ½” diameter and ¾” diameter (used only for clay)
Monogram rubber stamps
Colored jump rings and matching key ring
Needle nosed pliers
Aluminum foil and baking pan
Home oven set to 275 degrees
1. Cover your work surface with waxed paper. Cut a piece of gray metallic clay with the cutting blade tool. Knead the clay in your hand to condition. Roll out the clay on your waxed paper to about an 1/8” thickness.
2. Place the texture sheet on top of the sheet of rolled clay and roll again to apply the chosen texture to your clay.
3. Use the large round cutter (1 ½”) to cut out a textured circle.
4. Roll out the leftover piece of gray clay and use the smaller circle (3/4”) to cut out another circle. Press the chosen letter rubber stamp in the center of the smaller circle of clay to make the monogram. Place on top of the textured circle on the side pressing lightly to attach. As you are applying pieces you are giving the key ring dimension.
5. Roll out a scrap of yellow clay and use the mini flower cutter to cut out two flower shapes. Roll a small ball of brown clay and place in the center of each flower. Use the roller to flatten it and make it wider…(Sunflower)
6. Roll out a tiny amount of green clay into a thin snake shape. Curl the ends and attach to the base textured piece. (See photo) Place the mini sunflowers on each side. (See photo)
7. Use the tool with the pointed end to make a hole in the top of the key ring.
8. Preheat your oven to 275 degrees. Line a pan with aluminum foil and place your finished piece in the oven for around 20 minutes. Do not over bake. Do not use a microwave oven.
9. After the key ring has cooled apply a coat of Sculpey gloss glaze and let dry.
10. Open the jump ring with a twisting motion and insert through the hole you made in the top. Attach the key ring and close the jump ring.