October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and this recycled cork key chain is the perfect gift for a survivor or to show your support. It’s quick and easy to make using an upcycled champagne cork to create a cute key chain.
· Recycled champagne cork
· Pink acrylic paint
· Small paintbrush
· 10” 7/8” wide pink grosgrain ribbon - lighter or clear nail polish to seal the ends
· 2 inches 22 gauge pink wire
· Wire cutter
· Needle nosed pliers
· Large hole wooden bead
· Two eye screws
· Pink key ring
1. Use a small paintbrush to paint sections of the cork with paint. Since the cork is composed of many little sections, you can pick and choose small areas to paint within the cork lines. The bottom of the cork is smoother so paint the bottom solid. (See photo) Let dry.
2. Cut a piece of 7/8” wide pink grosgrain ribbon 10 inches long. Fold the ends and cut at an angle to make a point on each end. (See photo) Seal the ends with a lighter or clear nail polish.
3. Attach an eye screw to the bottom of the painted cork.
4. Insert both ends of the ribbon through the large holed wooden bead to about a ½” from the end. (See photo)
5. Insert the two-inch piece of 22 gauge wire through the loop at the top of the ribbon and using the needle nosed pliers attach to the eye screw at the bottom twisting into a loop to secure.
6. Attach the second eye screw to the top of the cork. Add the pink key ring.
7. Add keys or attach as bling to backpacks, purses, etc.