Pretty soon the ghosts and goblins will be running around collecting their candy. Costume parties and spooky decorations will be everywhere. This faux leather bound book looks back at you and the best part is that the notebook came from dollar store. Wouldn’t this look great in a Halloween tableau? Or better yet it would make a great non-candy party favor. Brown paper bags look amazingly like aged leather in just a few simple steps, who knew?
You will need:
· Hard cover note pad (You can also do this with a soft cover note pad as well)
· Brown paper bag
· Water based wood stain
· Clear gloss acrylic finish
· Small paintbrush
· Tacky craft glue
· Small amount of tan felt
· Small amount of black fun fur (Optional)
· Two Halloween wiggle eyes
· Waxed paper to cover your work surface
· Paper towels
· Small piece of lightweight cardboard
1. Measure the cover of your note pad. Measure and cut a piece of brown paper bag the same size as your cover.
2. Crinkle up the brown paper bag tightly into a ball and then open and smooth flat. Use some wood stain to brush on the crinkled paper. Wipe off any excess with a paper towel. Let dry.
3. When the wood stain is dry brush on some clear acrylic gloss finish.
4. Use a small piece of cardboard as a squeegee to spread some tacky glue onto the un-stained side of the paper and attach to the notepad cover. Smooth with your hands. Let the glue dry.
5. Place your wiggle eye on the tan felt and draw a line around the upper edge a little larger than the eye, remove and draw a line across the bottom. You will have a half moon shape. (Eyelid) Repeat for two eyelids and cut them out.
6. Glue the eyes onto the front of the book and let dry. Add some glue to the back of the eyelids and glue over top of the eyes. (See photo)
7. Add the optional eyebrows. Cut two ½” rectangles of black fun fur and glue over top of the eyes.