Duct tape is all the rage. All of a sudden there are tons of colors of duct tape available in the stores. These Starry coasters are so easy and inexpensive you can make a set in no time. Don't stop with just one set, change the colors to make a set for every room in the house!
You will need:
Corrugated cardboard from boxes. (Wholesale clubs are great sources for scrap cardboard)
2 ½” star duct tape or any print of choice
2 ½” solid color duct tape to match
Felt in matching colors (Scraps are fine as long as you can cut a 3 ½” x 3 ½” piece for each coaster)
Tacky Craft Glue (Tacky glue is thicker than white glue and doesn’t bleed through the felt)
1. Cut four pieces of corrugated cardboard 3 ½” x 3 ½”. (Coaster base)
2. Cut a piece of duct tape 4” in length. It doesn’t matter whether you start with the print or solid as long as you alternate each time you add a strip. When you add the first strip it is easier to place the duct tape sticky side up and lay the cardboard on top making sure there is at least ¼” edge overlapping.
3. Cut the corners at an angle and fold to the backside. (The corners will be mitered) Smooth the front side with your fingers.
4. Continue to add 4” strips varying the wideness of the strips on the front and folding the edges to the back two more times. When you reach the last strip, cut the corners at an angle like you did with the first strip and fold to the back mitering the corners. You will have a total of 4 strips across.
5. Cut a piece of coordinating felt 3 ½” x 3 ½”. Spread some tacky glue on the back of a coaster and attach a felt piece. Repeat with the other three coasters.
After you've made yourself a set why not make a some more for gifts. Simply tie a pretty ribbon around a set and you have a perfect hostess gift.