I always decorate for every holiday in my entry foyer. When I pulled out my fall décor I thought how nice it would be to have a seasonal light up item with a timer that would double as a nightlight. So for inspiration I took a trip to the local craft store and while there I found a cute orange mason jar. I picked up an battery powered LED timer light string at the discount store and started to make the Light-up pumpkin Mason jar. It’s so easy you will want to make one for all the holidays as well!
- Orange Mason jar (If you can’t find an orange one you can spray paint a clear one.)
- Battery powered LED light string with a timer
- Black enamel acrylic paint
- Small paintbrush
- All purpose computer paper
- Pencil or pen
- Green felt
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Extra large green pipe cleaner
- (Orange spray paint for clear Mason jar)
1. Gather your supplies. If you are using a clear mason jar, set aside the top and spray paint the jar orange.
2. Draw a pumpkin face on a piece of all-purpose paper. Cut the paper with the face to a size that will fit inside the jar. Tape to the inside of the jar to use as a pattern.
3. Use a small paintbrush and black enamel acrylic paint to outline and fill in the pumpkin features on the outside of the jar. Let the paint dry completely.
4. Meanwhile Place the control box for the light string on the green felt and outline the outside. Cut out the marked felt, make another mark where the switch on the box is and cut out a small rectangle. This will allow you to turn the light on and off. Attach to the top of the box with the hot glue gun. (Do not glue to the bottom where you insert the batteries)
5. Cover the sides with green felt strips that you have cut to size attaching with more hot glue.
6. Using some hot glue attach an extra large green pipe cleaner around the top rim of the jar. (You will not need to use the lid)
7. Fill the jar with the LED lights and run the end of the string with the felt covered switch box behind the jar. Set the light timer.