I like to keep a decorative light on a table in my foyer and this cute Christmas painted canning jar luminary is a perfect addition to my holiday décor. Since my foyer is dark unless I turn on the overhead chandelier light it’s nice to have a pretty nightlight. The LED light string I use works with three AAA batteries and has a switch that turns it on at the same time every night for six hours and then turns itself off. Since the lights are LED the batteries last over a month!
It’s so simple to paint on glass using gloss acrylic paint for glass that is readily available in all the craft stores. Follow the step-by-step instructions with photos to paint your own luminary. They make great Christmas gifts too. Just so you know, the photo doesn't do it justice, it is so beautiful with the little lights looking like stars.
· Acrylic gloss paint for use on glass in lt. blue, brown, green, and white
· Small flat paint brush
· Small piece of sponge
· LED battery powered light string with on/off/timer switch
· Paper plate to use as a palette
· Medium sized wide mouth canning jar
1. Wipe down the canning jar with alcohol to remove all dirt and oils.
2. Put some lt. blue paint on the paper plate and use the tap the sponge into the paint. Apply to the top 2/3 of the jar with a patting motion all around. Let dry.
3. Using a paintbrush apply white paint liberally on the bottom third of the jar overlapping hills. (See photo) Continue to add paint all around the jar and let dry. When it is dry turn it over and paint the bottom of the jar white. Let dry.
4. Add the pine trees. Load a flat brush with brown paint and working with the flat brush on its side, make a line up from the snow for the trunk. Rinse the brush and load it with green paint. Working from the bottom of the trunk add dabs of paint from side to side, going up the trunk getting narrower as you go. (See photo)
5. Continue to add trees in this manner. If you have less paint on the brush the tree will look somewhat faded giving it a far off appearance.
6. When the paint has dried add some white touches on the branches of the trees to resemble snow.
7. Add the LED light string in the jar and set it to turn on and off as desired.