What is better than going green? Going green-- and red, white and blue! Recycle those used K-cups into cool looking flowers that you can use on a wreath or anywhere. Come back soon to Make it Easy Crafts for more K-Cup crafts.
You will need:
4 to 6 white used K-cups (cleaned with filters removed)
Red Spray paint specifically for plastic
Small pointed scissors
Red Embossed felt
Navy blue grosgrain ribbon, approx. 24 inches
Glue gun and glue sticks
Tacky craft glue
Two star shaped rhinestones (optional)
Use two K-cups for each flower. If you want your flowers to have more petals then use three K-cups for each flower. Repeat steps 1 – 5 for each K-Cup. When gluing the K-cups together you may use a glue gun or tacky glue whichever you prefer. Tacky glue will need some time to dry, however. I suggest using a glue gun to attach the flowers to the wreath.
1. Cut around the top edges of the K-cup. Make sure you remove the lip.
2. Using a ruler, measure ½” increments making hash marks with the pencil around the top of the K-cup.
3. Cut slits to the base of the K-cup with the pointed scissors using the hash marks as a guide.
4. Bend each petal down to the base to flatten.
5. Round each petal by snipping the edges on each side.
6. Spray red paint on two or three prepared K-cups and let dry. Work outside or in a well ventilated area. I like to contain the flowers in a large cardboard box top. Repeat for the underside.
7. For the white flowers, line up two (or three depending upon how many you want) prepared K-cups inside each other, turning to allow the petals to flare out. Glue them together. Repeat this step for the red flowers using the spray painted K-Cup Flowers. Cut a circle of embossed red felt the inside dimension of the center of the flower and attach with glue. You will have two completed flowers, one red and one white.
8. Wrap the navy grosgrain ribbon around the wreath. Use the glue gun to secure. Attach one of each flower on the side of the wreath with the glue gun. Add a dab of glue in the center of each flower and add a star shaped rhinestone if desired. Vary the flower colors for an "anytime" wreath!
Come back to Make it easy crafts often for more ideas on K-cup crafting!